Hi

Hi, Thanks for dropping by.

My name is Eileen but to friends in the card making world I'm known as 'ikki'. (which is pronounced I-KEY) From where or how this came about I'm not sure - it just got shorten from my original craft name of Ikemo by various friends along my crafting way! I started crafting whilst recouperating from an accident, and from my first attempts with peeloffs and paint - I was hooked! Now my passion is my BUG! and now BEADING!

In the Cupboard you will find ideas, news, tips and techniques to help you get more from this fab little machine. So come in - join the fun and Cuttle with me!


Saturday 21 March 2009

Partial cuttlebug embossing with my modifying folder pad

Cuttlebug folders are great, but sometimes limiting - so to do something different ... how about trying this



You will need

Cardstock to make a 6 x 4 card
Pieces of card and paper
Stylized Flower Folder
Glue and your bug


Start by taking a piece of spare card or paper to fit folder and emboss as usual. Then cut into two peices - carefully following between the outlines of the pattern.



You now have two patterns.

I have made both thicker by glueing together several pieces of card to the same thickness as the B Plate, because this will be used instead of your second B plate.
You have now made a MODIFYING FOLDER PAD - which I shall call MFP.
Caution - never force through the machine, best to start thin and work up. (You could always use a extra shim if your MFP is not thick enough).


Today I will work with the smaller MFP, but don't throw away the other because you will need it for the second part of this project.

Place your card into the folder to the centre scored line. NB: I have used the folder upside down - see the Cuttlebug logo and the card is not wrapped round the folder.



Place your MFP over the pattern to be embossed.


The sandwich would be: A-B-folder and card - MFP.




Carefully run through the bug



You will have made this



You could stop here because this would make a simple, but elegant card for that difficult occasion when you want to send a message but are not sure what to make or say.



I have taken it further by re-inserting the card into the folder in a different way.


Again place your MFP in line with the pattern and emboss again.


So from the folder and MFP


You now have an embossed card

I have finished the card with a few gems, butterflies and a scalloped oval nestie tag - and it's different!


If you like this card, I hope you will join me on Monday when I will show you how to use the remaining piece of the pattern.


Thanks for dropping by - please let me know what you think of this idea and if it works for you.


26 comments:

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

This is astounding! What a brilliant way to get so much variety out of your folders. WOW WOW WOW!!!! Love it madly! Can't wait to try it out! Thanks so much for sharing your talent. :O)

Carol Ann said...

This is a great to make the folders much more versatile I really like the way it has turned will give it a go x

Unknown said...

Welcome back you! Fantastic idea, you are such a whizz on this lil bug!! Will have to have a go at this one.

Barbarax

Cher said...

wowser! ty for the tutorial! i am still trying to figure out all the things I can do with this cuttlebug...Thank God for folks like u! Cher

Heather said...

Another fab technique Eileen will certainly be having a go at this one.
hugs Heather xx

kay said...

another fab idea,thanks for sharing
kayx

Anonymous said...

Hi, Thank you for your fantastic talent and sharing it with us, I have a quiet day tomorrow so the CB will be coming out to play.
Thanks
Liz.

Anonymous said...

Another brilliant idea, thanks. Definitely wouldnt have thought of this one, but will be giving it a try. Hope you had a fab holiday and welcome back.
Julie Mae (DC)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for shareing your tips, can't wait to have a go
Christine (tilly Trotter) dc

Louise xx said...

Great Idea. Fab tutorial. Louise Score DC

Alex said...

Well done, this is a lovely card! Looking forward to your next posting!
Love, Alex

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial, I have made my first card using this design this afternoon and I love it. I have a big shot but was able to adapt.

Pamela :0)

CreativSpirit said...

Hi Eileen,

Thanks so much for the great idea with the embossing folders. I have only had my Cuttlebug for a couple of months and haven't had time to really explore different techniques. Love what you have done, thanks again for sharing.

Rob

Anonymous said...

hi ikki, wow what can i say, such amazing idea, gosh!!! never thought of anythink like this, brilliant julie (do crafts) chucky x

Laura said...

These are so pretty! I have been doing something similar to this for a while now, so I have a little tip for you. If you use the C plate on the bottom, then your modifyer pad doesn't need to be as thick. Saves you cutting and gluing a couple of extra layers.(I didn't come up with a catchy name for mine, I was just calling them custom shims- pretty boring-lol)

Julies Crafty Creations said...

Great tutorial, if anyone knows how to adapt it using the big shot I would appreciate it if you could let me know as I don't have a cuttelbug Thanks Julie x

Anonymous said...

Great idea!! Thanks for sharing.

Diana said...

WOW WOW what a great idea!! Will give this a try for sure!

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant idea and it looks so pretty when finished must give it ago Thanks for sharing your idea.
Myrax

Unknown said...

Absolutely brilliant idea Ikki!!!
Viv xx

angie's blogspot said...

well I owe you a massive thanks for this idea, I've been trying for months to fathom out how to leave an unembossed square in the middle of my cards, I've just made one of your MFP pads leaving a black square in the middle and it works a treat.. thanks ever so much

LaiSie said...

Great idea, Ikki. I love it and have given it a try. Happy with the results although I can see I need to improve on what I did. Wanted to let you know I used the green self-healing mat to cut up the MFP. It happens to be the same thickness as the B plate. Thanks again for your ideas.

LaiSie

Julies Crafty Creations said...

HI Ikki
Thanks for the info on the comment you left me. I am still having trouble, I have the big shot, could this be making the problem, I do it in this sequence the MPP, 1clear plate then the card and folder then the MFP that I madeon top but it keeps embossing the edge of the other bit of pattern if that makes sense, can I ask how many layers you use for your MFP maybe I should remove some or add some, any help would be great. Thanks Julie x

sixofone said...

Hi. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful way to use the cuttlebug. I have just bought mine and haven't really been adventourous with it yet. Can't wait to see what's next. Leah

Jocelyn aka JoBear2 on my SCS Gallery said...

Hi from Australia!
I have looking at all your different CB techniques - been sitting at my computer for ages! It's fantastic to see so many things that you can do with the CB.
Can't wait to try this particular technique of partial embossing.
Thanks so much for sharing all your ideas and techniques :-)

Linda Shumaker said...

I am SO EXCITED!! I have been struggling with this technique for some time. For the first time I understand exactly what I need to do. I can't wait to get home and try it. Thanks Ikki